Nude Photography is an art form photography which involves a nude or a semi-nude person. It is a very controversial art form and maybe taken as an offence in certain cultures and countries. But at WPC, we believe that nude photography is an Art and it should be treated like that.
- Nude photographs may be used for scientific and educational purposes, such as ethnographic studies, human physiology or sex education. In this context, the emphasis of the photograph is not on the subject or eroticism of the image, but on the educational or demonstrative purpose for which the image was produced.
- Erotic – It is a style of nude photography of an erotic or sexually provocative nature. Erotic photography is generally a composed image of a subject in a still position.
- Glamor – Glamor photography is single-handedly introduced by the famous men’s magazine Playboy. It is a style of Nude Photography which captures perfect human form (male/ female).
- Advertising – Nudity and sexually suggestive images are very common in modern-day advertising to help sell products. Sometimes feature of such photography has no relation with the product being advertised. The purpose of such imagery is to attract the attention of a potential customer or user. It is most widely used in Male Contraceptives advertising.
- Music Album Covers – Music album covers often feature photography, at times including nude or semi-nude images. The famous album covers of Blind Faith and Virgin Killer became controversial because of the nude images of pre-pubescent girls were used, and were re-issued with alternative covers in some countries.
Tips for Nude Photography
- Try to understand which shots you’re attempting to take – Picking up the camera and start taking Nude shots is not what Nude Photography is all about. You have to know what kind of shots you’re attempting. It is very important to have a purpose and a vision. If you are new at this, then take some magazine cover shots as a reference.
- Go monochrome – Even the beautiful moon has craters. No matter how beautiful or perfect your subject is, there is a high chance he/ she might have some blotches or marks on their skin. When you capture them in color, the marks may be highlighted, hence, it is safe to click the photographs in Black and White. Also, going Black and White creates a sense of Mystery which can captivate the viewer.
Credits: Jairo Alzate
- Keep the Temperature Comfortable – You are clothed and are comfortable in shooting but you have to make sure that your subject is feeling the same. Your subject is nude, he/ she might be feeling cold. It is very difficult to pose when you are shivering from inside.
- Longer Focal Lengths helps – It is very important for the model to have his/ her personal space. The model is literally opening himself/ herself in front of you, they are bound to have some of their own space. So, make sure that the focal length is long so that the models have their space and you do not compromise on your shot.
- Anonymity is the key – Do you want to make a shot which captures the beauty of the human form and still leave some mystery? If yes, then make sure that the model is not facing the camera or looking away from it. You can crop the face midway (as shown below) to create more anonymity and an illusion of mystery.
- Chill and keep the Subject Light-hearted– Imagine yourself, standing Nude in front of strangers while they are clicking you photos. Feeling awkward? This is what is going through the mind of models, no matter how experienced or professional they are. Make sure that the environment is friendly and fun so that the models feels less awkward and give their best.
- KISS (Keep it Simple, Stupid) – Best shots come from simple poses. Complicated poses can make models feel uncomfortable. This is what you don’t want. Simple poses are the one which catches natural beauty of the human form. Also, simple poses are easy to understand by the viewer.
- Semi-Nude works too – It is not compulsory that in Nude photography, the model has to be fully nude, semi-nude can also work and that too effectively. It just that, you must know how to capture the beauty. The model has to be sensuous enough in her/ his expressions that the viewer is mesmerized. Covering up can be done by hands or an unbuttoned shirt, etc.
Credits: Jerzy Gorecki
For more information on Photos & Photography, visit www.worldphotographersclub.com