A selfie is a self-portrait photograph, typically taken with a digital camera or camera phone held in the hand or supported by a selfie stick. Selfies are often shared on social networking services such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. They are usually flattering and made to appear casual. Most selfies are taken with a camera held at arm's length or pointed at a mirror, rather than by using a self-timer. A selfie stick can be used to position the camera farther away from the subject, allowing the camera to see more around them.
Credits: Tim Gouw
That one word “SELFIE” is more famous than the photographer, Jim Krause who discussed the term for the first time in 2005.
Selfies are a common thing in today’s world. In November 2013, the word "selfie" was announced as being the "word of the year" by the Oxford English Dictionary, which gave the word itself an Australian origin. Selfies have also been taken beyond Earth.
There have been many types of selfies in the past 5 years since the thing came in notice, but the best 5 are: -
1. The Duck Face Selfie – it came into light when Kim Kardashian first posed it for her Instagram account. It became a rage thereafter. One Kim posted it, suddenly everyone was posting a duck face selfie and were being liked, so much so www.oxforddictionaries.com included “duck face” as a new word in 2014.
Credits: Kim Kardashian (Instagram)
2. The Bathroom Selfie – Not many things have been as disturbing as clicking a bathroom selfie. The trend took a lift when some celebrities started posting their selfies in a bathroom during breaks at some award show. It became such a trend that every public or private bathroom turned into a high-class photo studio, with amazing lights and walls with the good paint, etc…
Credits: Larsa Pippen
3. I Saw a Celebrity Selfie – When the two favorites of people – Mobiles and Celebrities collide, what do you expect it to generate but a “I saw a Celebrity” selfie. It has become such a trend that now all you need to get famous amongst your society is a selfie with some celebrity, no matter how big or small. The concept became so famous that fans started breaking into celebrity houses just to get a sneaky selfie with them and showed it off on the Internet with pride. Many of the fans had to go to jail for breaking & entering charges.
Credits: Ellen De Genres (Twitter)
4. The Collage Selfie – 2016 was all about the Selfie Collage. Apparently, if you weren’t putting 2-3 hours in editing & uploading a selfie then you weren’t putting effort enough and that was a problem. It became a must-do trend of the year. It was a trend but it was equally frowned upon too.
5. The Selfie Parody – This is an all time favorite. Anyone who is even a least bit funny, uploads a parody selfie. As if the only way to show people that you’re funny is through an embarrassing picture. Parody selfies are THE thing. If you don’t have a body part pretty enough to show off or money enough to show off your cool new gadgets then your only way out is a Parody Selfie.
For more information on Photos & Photography, visit www.worldphotographersclub.com