Medical Photography, also known as Clinical Photography or Biomedical Photography, is a specialised area of photography that concerns itself with the documentation of the clinical presentation of patients, medical and surgical procedures, medical devices, and specimens from the autopsy.
These subjects may include clinical photographs, surgical procedures, surgical specimens, autopsy and forensic material, tissue slides, bacterial specimens, laboratory preparations, graphic and fine art renditions, medical equipment, and public relations features, as well as illustrations for publications and presentations. The area that has been traditionally a big part of the work in medical photography has been reprographics, photographing texts, charts, and graphs; and radiographs for lectures, posters, presentations, and publication.
To be a professional medical photographer you need to have a good grip on your camera handling skills and a strong gut.
Some tips for being a good Medical Photographer are:-
· A medical photographer must have a good general knowledge of anatomy and an elementary knowledge of physiology and histology.
· Be familiar with the common everyday terms used in pathology, bacteriology, radiology, and surgical procedures.
· The photographer needs to be aware of the infectious nature of certain diseases and take precautions to avoid contact and to protect fellow employees from hazardous circumstances.
· Knowledge of digital imaging software is necessary to edit and output images while maintaining scale and color balance.
· Never interrupt the procedure or ask the doctors to slow down just because you did not get a good shot.
One of the best Medical Photographers you will find today is Lennart Nilsson.
Lennart Nilsson (24 August 1922 – 28 January 2017)was a Swedish photographer. His works have been published in Life Magazine. Amongst his amazing achievements are – he captured the first images of the HIV and the SARS virus on camera.
His works have also been published in the most famous science photo book “A Child is Born (1965)”
For more information on Photos & Photography, visit www.worldphotographersclub.com
Also, participate in our online photography competitions by signing up on the website and making a portfolio and win amazing gifts & prizes.